Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Schutzhund as a second fiddle sport?

I've been thinking a lot about this for the last few months.

When I first started working with Simi's breeder, I was just coming out to her house in the evenings, working some dogs on obedience some rain or snow (lots of rain -- I worked one pup in the rain one night until we were both soaked!) and later on started coming out to the clubs training days to watch Schutzhund. I enjoyed that, a lot. I still love going out and watching. It seems like a lot of fun and I can really appreciate the time and effort put into training it.

However. This brings us to Simi. Simi will be 7 months old on the 22nd of this month and we've been out to Schutzhund training all of once. I bought Simi with the intention of, first and foremost, a pet, but also a working dog in the sense that we'd do sports. Agility was always my first intention in terms of sports. After that I wanted to get into Schutzhund and maybe even a little herding. The thing I'm running into now is that even though Simi is still young, I know that when it comes times to start training for agility (more than the little bit we're doing now) that we'll be spending a lot of time on it. The older she gets, the more we're going to train. I have agility equipment in my backyard. I have an agility field. I'm on the executive of the club, and I'm at trials on the weekends with Psyche, and hope to be at more with her as I work through her issues. Training agility is easy for me.

Schutzhund doesn't need much in terms of equipment, but it's a lot of time. A lot of time. And I have to drive 45 minutes to the training club to work on the training days, and fees for the club are about three times more than the agility club fees. Schutzhund trials are as expensive or more so than trials. Training days with the club are in the evenings (which I often can't make, because of work or school) and on the weekends. Agility trials are on the weekends.

Really, agility will be easier for Simi and I. It'll be more accessible and so that will make it easier for me to train and enjoy. I'm at a bit of a crossroads, here. Maybe Simi and I won't do schutzhund... maybe we will... it's really completely undecided right now.

Not that she's doing much right at this minute... dummy was giving me too much eye contact while walking and tripped in a hole (I really don't know if I should be upset about the eye contact... I was pretty impressed at the time!) and hurt the shoulder she hurt back in February. Urgh. Back to crate rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment